Change FireFox default search egine (about:config)
For some reason my default search engine in FireFox was changed to Ask.com, probably because I installed there tool bar accidentally. Today it was time to get rid of this and switch back to good ald Google.These are the steps I took to change the default search engine in FireFox
- Open a new tab.
- Enter “about:config” and hit enter, this brings up the all powerful settings of Firefox.
- You should agree to the warning that you could potentially mess things up
- In the filter enter keyword.url
- Double click and change keyword.url string to Google, the URL should be http://www.google.com/search?q=
- In the filter enter browser.search.defaultenginename
- Double click and change browser.search.defaultenginename to Google
- Restart FireFox
You could of course change to your own favorite search engine, find the proper keyword URL and use that one instead.